Delphinium make a summer statement with their beautiful spires dressed in a variety of shades, but these native flowers are more than just a pretty face for pollinators!
- Delphinium come in many stunning shades: blue, pink, white, purple and even red!
- They are frequently seen in cottage style gardens.
- Delphinium grow in many parts of the United States and Europe.
- Many people treat them as annuals, buying new plants each year; however, they are actually a short-lived perennial that prefer cool, moist summers to dry and hot conditions.
- The flowers are named after the Greek word “delphis” which means dolphin.
- Delphinium are known to repel insects such as lice!
- Native Americans used a special technique to extract dye for coloring their clothes and other items.
- The flower symbolizes overall positivity evoking feelings of warmth and joy.
Intreegue Design is a licensed landscape architecture firm operating in Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and soon adding Napa Valley, California. We offer the added value of having expert horticulturists, forest conservation planners, Chesapeake Bay Landscape Design professionals and ISA-certified arborists in house.
Learn more about working with Intreegue and our Design Process.